Take Your Dog To Work Day event is celebrated every year on the Friday following Father’s Day. For one day, employers are encouraged to be supportive of local pets by letting their employees bring their four-legged friends into work with them. The day is an opportunity for people who don’t have pets to see the benefits of having one and may lead them to adopt their own.
History of Take Your Dog To Work Day®
The take your dog to work day is an event that was started in the 1990s by Pet Sitters International, the world’s largest educational association for professional pet sitters. The day was founded to celebrate the great companions dogs make and promote their adoptions. The idea has taken off in recent years, with many companies offering this perk for employees with a furry friend.
There are some simple rules you should follow if you take part in take your dog to work day: make sure they’re well-behaved and have a good temperament; don’t let them roam around unattended; keep them away from people who are allergic or afraid of animals; take care not to leave any messes for other employees.
How to Safely Bring Your Dog To Work
- Check with your boss for permission. Before you bring your dog in, get approval from the boss.
- Check for allergy sufferers. Before the big day, make sure to check with your management and co-workers about whether anyone could be allergic, afraid of or opposed to you bringing your dog.
- Vaccines. Make sure your dog is up-to-date on all their vaccines.
- Bring a crate to work with you so your dog has somewhere to retreat if they get too nervous as not all dogs will like to be in a strange environment.
- Bring an extra leash and collar in case the one you are using breaks or falls off.
- Let colleagues know. Make sure that the people at work know that you have a dog before they come over and start petting him/her without permission.
- Food and Water. Always make sure there are fresh water and food available for your pup throughout the day!
- Bring toys from home to keep them occupied whilst you are working.
- Bring poop bags. You know you’re going to need them.
- Have a plan for what will happen when it’s time for lunch, such as going outside with your dog or taking them back home alone while someone stays behind to watch them.
Other ways to celebrate Take Your Dog To Work Day
Not able to bring your dog? Not a problem! There are other ways to celebrate take your dog to work day.
- Post a photo on social media of your canine companion in your home office.
- Dress your dog up as if they were going to work.
- Make them some special dog treats that they love.
- Take a selfie with your dog and share it on social media.
- Play an extra game of fetch in your yard at lunchtime.
- Bring a photo of your dog to work and put it on your desk, or screensaver ( if you haven’t already!)
Enjoy your day
The benefits of having your furry friend in the office are many – it relieves stress, creates a sense of community and gives you a chance to share your love of dogs with others. All this fun is good for both humans and their four-legged friends. If you’re looking to enjoy some company while at work today or just want to give your dog something new to do, head into the office with them!
Take Your Dog To Work Day®
Fun and Benefits of Having Dogs in the Office