If you’ve ever cooked up a snack for your cat or dog, there’s an indescribable joy. Not only is your furry friend licking their lips at the smell, but there’s also something really satisfying about giving your pet something lovely to eat. Do you find yourself wanting to cook healthy, nutritious meals for your pet? Then National Cook for Your Pets Day is just the thing to get you started. It’s also a day to learn more about the kind of food you feed your furry four-legged friend and the quality.
As one of the newest holidays, it doesn’t have a long or vast history. But, it’s good for paying more attention to the diet of your precious fur baby and learning more about nutrition.
History of November 1: National Cook for Your Pets Day
A website called Cook for Your Pets started the festivities. People started celebrating National Cook for Your Pets Day between 2016 and 2018. While the focus of this holiday is mainly around dogs, it has come to include other pets as well like cats, hamsters, rabbits, and even pet fish.
How to Participate in National Cook for Your Pets Day
This special day is about health and nutrition for our four-legged family members, your. Here are some brilliant ways to partake in National Cook For Pets Day.
- Cook a bitesize piece of steak, chicken or fish for your dog or cat and film their reaction.
- Give your veggie-eating pets a special healthy treat that’s chock full of nutrients. Horses love watermelon!
- Read your pet’s food ingredients (usually found on the packet) and investigate each item in the list. Make sure everything is perfect for your pet and that the ash/filler content is as low as possible.
- Make some homemade treats you can feed your pet all month long.
- Take your pet to the vet for a checkup and to ensure you’re giving the right food.
- Research natural foods your pet can eat like herbs, fruits, veggies, meats and other things.
- Share a meal with your pet; make the same thing for you both! Don’t forget to post photos and use the hashtag #nationalcookforyourpetsday.
- Create a cookery book filled with recipes for treats just for your pet. Ensure they are healthy and nutritious.
Important things to remember:
- Don’t add seasoning. Your pets don’t need seasoning and it could make them very poorly and give them stomach problems. Be aware that some seasoning might be harmful to your pet’s health and always do your research before feeding it to your pet.
- Don’t make a drastic change to your pet’s diet. Make the switch from one type of food to another gradually, so they can become accustomed to it. Otherwise your pet may end up with an upset stomach.
- If your pets have any sort of health condition, allergies, intolerances, or any form of digestion issues. You must check with your vet before feeding them anything new.
- Do not feed your pets anything toxic. Even in small amounts this can be deadly and cause long-term problems. Common toxins include garlic, onions, salt, alcohol, coffee, tea, yeast, chocolate, and dairy. Make sure to research the ingredients thoroughly and if you are unsure either consult your vet or do not include it in your recipe.
- It’s also important to remember that what is safe for a cat to eat is not always safe for a dog. Cat food often has a much higher salt content and this can be very bad for your dog.
How to use National Cook For Your Pets Day to promote your pet business.
Cook For Pets Day is quickly becoming a holiday for people who love to feed their pets healthy, nutritious food. This is a great opportunity to promote your business, especially if you sell pet food or healthy treats. There are plenty of ways to participate in this day that can be used for your business.
- Post pictures of your pets with what they’re eating and use the hashtag #NationalCookForYourPetsDay. You can also try making an easy recipe for your pet to share on social media or your website with the tag #NationalCookForYourPetsDay.
- Come up with a few recipes that will be safe for pets with certain diets and post easy-to-follow recipes for your followers.
- Discount items in your shop that are relevant to cooking for your pet; such as gourmet food and treats.
- Write an easy-to-access article or create an infographic about nutrition using accurate scientific research.
- Highlight pet-themed cooking items such as wooden spoons with a dog’s face on them or aprons decorated with horses.
This holiday doesn’t have to be a big to-do, even just a small check to ensure your pet is eating healthy is an excellent way to celebrate this holiday. So Happy National Cook for Your Pets Day!
National Cook For Your Pets Day
Highlighting the nutrition needs for pets