Reptiles are often misunderstood creatures. They are often seen as being cold and unfeeling. However, reptiles are actually quite sensitive and intelligent animals.
They’re fascinating animals. They look cool. Their behavior seems really complex at times. The fact that they’ve been around since before dinosaurs makes me wonder what kind of life they had back then.
They are also very social creatures and enjoy having company. If you want to learn more about caring for reptiles safely, then this is the day to find out and share more information about them.
History of National Reptile Awareness Day
The first annual National Reptile Awareness Day was held in 2007 by a group called The American Herpetological Society. They wanted to raise awareness about reptiles as pets and their importance in our environment. In 2008 they expanded it into an international event with more than 50 countries participating. This year there are over 200 events planned around the world for people who love all kinds of animals including reptiles.
How do you celebrate?
There is no official way that everyone celebrates this day but many reptile owners have been celebrating since its inception. Some celebrate by going out and visiting zoos and aquariums while others just spend time at home watching TV shows featuring reptiles. There are even some people who go camping and bring along their pet snakes!
What does the Day Mean?
This day means different things to different people. For example, one person might be interested in learning how to care for reptiles properly so he can keep them safe from predators like cats and dogs. Another person may simply want to educate himself about these amazing creatures. Whatever your reason for wanting to know more about reptiles, we hope that today will help you get started.
Why Should You Care About Reptiles?
Reptiles play important roles in nature. Many types of reptiles eat insects which helps control pests such as mosquitoes and flies. Others feed on plants and other small organisms. Even though most reptiles don’t bite humans, they still pose risks if not cared for correctly. These include:
• Snakes – Most snake bites occur when someone tries to handle a venomous snake without proper protection. It is best to avoid handling any type of snake unless you are trained and experienced in doing so.
• Crocodilians – When crocodiles feel threatened, they sometimes attack people. Although rare, crocodilian attacks usually happen because the animal feels cornered or trapped. To prevent croc attacks, make sure you always wear appropriate clothing and shoes when near water. Never walk barefoot through shallow waters where crocodiles live. Also, never try to catch a crocodile yourself. Instead call local authorities immediately.
• Lizards & Salamanders- Like snakes, lizards and salamanders can cause serious injuries if handled incorrectly. Always use gloves when touching these animals. Don’t pick up lizards or salamanders by the tail; instead grab them by the head. And remember, if you see a lizard or salamander crawling across the ground, leave it alone until you contact a professional wildlife rehabilitator.
• Turtles & Tortoises- Turtles and tortoises need special attention when handling. Some bite and many carry salmonella and ecoli which is transmissable to humans.
6 Ideas of ways to raise awareness about reptiles
If you would like to get involved in raising awareness about reptiles, here are some ideas Reptile Awareness Day:
1) Share your knowledge about reptiles – You can share information about how to care for reptiles such as feeding tips, keeping temperatures safe, etc. Also be sure to include any interesting facts about reptiles.
2) Educate children – Children are usually fascinated by reptiles so if you know anything about these amazing creatures, make sure you teach them about them. It’s important to start early because kids will always remember what they were taught when they grow older.
3) Make friends with other animal lovers – People who love animals should not only talk about them but also try to help each other. For example, if someone has a snake problem, ask another person if he/she knows anyone else who might be able to help.
4) Write articles – Writing articles about reptiles is a great way to spread the word about reptiles. Not only does writing articles increase exposure for yourself but it helps promote awareness among readers too.
5) Volunteer – Volunteering is something that most people can do, whether it’s regular help or just a one off to support an event, your time will be greatly appreciated.
5 ways to market your business using Reptile Awareness Day:
1 – Offer discounts
If you offer a discount on your services, consider offering a special deal like “buy 1 get 2 free” or “free shipping over $50″. These deals would encourage customers to purchase items online instead of visiting your brick-and-mortar location. Customers could save money and still receive quality service.
2 – Create social media posts
Posting photos of reptiles on Facebook and Twitter is a great way to attract attention.
Posting pictures of reptiles on Instagram is also effective. You can create a hashtag so that everyone following you sees these images as soon as they open up the app. It doesn’t matter how many followers you have; every single post gets seen.
You can also share videos of reptiles doing cool things on YouTube. Videos tend to perform better than text when it comes to getting views.
3 – Giveaways
Giveaway contests are always popular. Everyone loves winning stuff. There are several websites where you can find giveaways such as Freecycle, Amazon Prime, Ebay, etc. Just make sure you read through the terms before entering any contest. Some sites require winners to pay fees upfront which defeats the purpose of giving away prizes. Also, some companies charge extra fees for international shipments. Be careful what you sign up for.
4 – They Ask , You Answer – Question Time
There are lots of different types of reptiles including snakes, lizards, turtles, tortoises, frogs, salamanders, crocodiles, iguanas, chameleons, geckos, and skinks. Each type requires specific care. When asking questions about reptiles, you need to know the difference between species. For instance, a bearded dragon lizard is completely harmless whereas a ball python is extremely dangerous. A customer shouldn’t assume that all reptiles are safe simply because they look cute. Invite your customers and social media followers to ask questions and encourage engagement and education.
5 – Provide educational information
Educational content has become an important part of marketing today. People want to learn more about everything around them. So why not provide informative articles about reptiles? Write something interesting about reptile anatomy, behavior, diet, habitat requirements, breeding, health issues, and other topics. Make sure to include links back to your website so people can easily access additional resources.
Raising awareness about reptiles is very important. By educating others about their needs we can all work together to ensure that no reptile goes unloved and unadopted. So please take this opportunity today to learn more about reptiles and then pass along the information you have learned to those around you!
Reptile Awareness Day
All About Snakes, Lizards, Turtles & Other Reptiles